After a few weeks of mostly knitting (I don’t have anything to show for it as everything is still at the UFO stage) I finally got some sewing done again.
I sewed a few box bags, trying a new technique and new materials. I was mostly successful with the new technique but I think I almost got it figured out, so maybe in the next batch! Even though I was only mostly successful, these bags are in perfect condition and would make some lovely project bags!
I used some heavier weight cotton rather than regular quilting cotton for the outside, this way they should hold up even better to pokey things like needles and such! I also tried a totally different size bag, more flat and wide. I can still fit a pair of socks WIP in it but maybe it could be used for different things as well!
A month or so ago, when the Orla Kiely stuff came out at Target, I was really excited about the Flower print and was hoping to score a tablecloth or even towels that I could use to make some box bags out off. Sadly, the only thing I was able to find in that print was 1 single placemat. This week I got around to making 2 box bags out of it. This week also, after being done with those two box bags I went back to Target and lo and behold, Orla Kiely stuff was back in stock! Including the Brown Flower tablecloth! Guess how fast the tablecloth made it in my little hands! So now I can make more!
Both Orla Kiely bags are on my etsy shop. I apologize for it being a little empty, but don’t worry, it’ll get full again. Today I’m going to a show where my box bags will be sold, so I had to take them out of the store since I don’t have that many made up!
In regards to the show, I also made something that will be quite useful. I’ve been thinking about the vendor aprons I saw someone wear at the Stitches East show last year. I thought it would be a quite good idea if myself and the other ladies at the show could wear one. So I found a pattern on etsy and tested it out yesterday. I made a few modifications including lining the back of the apron. I thought it would hang better that way. It has the potential for quite a few pockets, including a zippered one (which I didn’t do) as well as a business card pocket!
I hope you noticed the print I’m using, it’s “Mushroom City” by Alexander Henry, I thought it would be quite appropriate for someone who’s business name is Stitchy Mushroom! Anyways, it’s going to be tested today, I’ll let you know how it goes!